Late last year Wendy and I bought an old Burley trailer at a yard sale. We cut all the faded and worn tent material to expose the bare aluminum frame. Cleaned the rust off with steel wool, and strung up an old metal fence from Urban Ore around the frame to serve as a bottom mesh. The trailer frame was actually woven through the fence for a seamless attachment. Latter zip-ties were added in a few places to stop rattling.
A highway sign from Urban Ore was cut to fit, and attached with velcro-rivet attachments. A second, longer portion of the highway sign was cut and velcro-riveted to serve as a cover.
Bungie cords are used to secure things in place. The trailer-to-bike attachment was left as found, except that all the old nylon webbing was replaced with new webbing.
So far I’ve used it for groceries and plants/garden supplies. It does take some getting used to, because it is wider than a bike and can easily clip parked cars and curbs.